10.24.2011

P-E-A-C-E

I wanted to post a video here but I'm not having any luck so here's the link and the blog I read it from and the CNN article that started the blog post.

The article talks about Obama sending 100 troops to Africa to hunt down the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army, Joseph Kony. The man is horrible and vile and scary. He kidnaps C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N and makes them commit atrocities. Kony uses these children as his soldiers and when they die he just kidnaps more of them. He has displaced more than 380,000 people in the areas of Uganda, Sudan, Central African Republic and Dem. Rep of Congo.

In the video a woman says since peace was signed, they have never experienced peace. This statement got me. Peace is truly a gift that I think everyone wants but not a lot have. I believe here in the U.S. we have peace. When I read about other countries and what they face everyday, we can't compare. I'm not stupid or naive to think that we don't have trouble here. I know we have rapes, murder, suicide, gangs, violence, and so on. But we don't have war in our own country. We don't have American's causing war within our own country. We don't have American's committing atrocities like those that are happening in Africa. We aren't being displaced by soldiers looting or burning down our homes or stealing our food or kidnapping our children. Compared to Africa we have peace.

I'm not knowledgeable in politics and policy and war and I won't claim to have all the answers. However right now with the information I do have, I believe a country as powerful and wealthy as we are should help those countries who are struggling big time. We are blessed beyond belief when you compare what we have with the rest of the world and I believe we do have a responsibility to help those suffering. In my opinion the U.S. was built with faith in God and as long as we are doing what is right, God will help us and bless us. I know our country is in need of help but I believe that the same rule that apply to us individually apply to us as a country and that would be.....
James 2:15-17 (New International Version)
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.


Since I am a Christian I know my opinions will probably differ than those who are not. All I ask is that before you start saying we should look out for "number 1" or "me" read up on Africa, India, and Latin American countries. Life in these countries is a daily struggle to feed their families, find clean H2O, send their children to school, make enough money to survive and much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment